Perfect Your Comedy Editing Skills During a Free Webinar with Modern Family’s Editor Ryan Case
Modern Family editor since its inception Ryan Case will give a free video webinar sponsored by Avid on November 20th 2012.
I have learned editing on FCP and have been working on the Apple software for a long time, but as much as I love FCP7, transitioning to FCPX has proven being difficult and painful. To a point where I had to question the logic behind my stubbornness in wanting to edit with an apple software only because it was named Final Cut Pro.
I have recently started playing around with Premiere, it is very close to FCP legacy, and if you are a bit familiar with After Effects, then it’s even easier. I have yet to try Avid but when I discovered the coming webinar with Ryan Case, my curiosity was peaked. Digging a little bit more, I found out videos of Ryan talking about her craft on Moviola.
Two videos particularly took my attention:
- The video about her workflow on Modern Family. I always like to know more about practicalities and every editor has different habits. I was surprised to discovered she was attending the first table read to get an idea of what she might be looking for in the dailies.
- A ‘tutorial’ explaining the asymmetrical editing technique Case mentions in one of the video. In that video I was introduced to… the script based editing workflow that works with ScriptSync. All the takes are synced to your script, making it very convenient to go over your options. (or so it seemed) My heart skipped a beat when I saw this and now Avid seems like an option too.
So, I signed up to watch the coming webinar and thought it might interest some of you too!
Below is a the description:
Learn the editors’ approach and techniques
Comedy is about timing. As an editor, pacing performances and cutting at the most opportune moments can hone the hilarity even further—if you know what to look for.
Join the editing team behind the hit TV sitcom Modern Family—editor Ryan Case and assistant editor Shaheed Qaasim—and host Matt Feury (Avid pro video marketing manager) for a discussion on what it takes to keep America laughing each week.
- Hear how Media Composer and ScriptSync help organize the beats of the story and find
the best performances
- Gain insight into how trimming an edit can make something funny (or not)
- Get your questions answered by Ryan and Shaheed at the end of the presentation
If you’d like to sign up, you can go here.
Thanks to Jesse Averna for tweeting about it.