The TOP 10 Articles by Mentorless Readers in 2013
I can’t believe we’ve wrapped another year again, but we did indeed, and it was quite a good one for mentorless.com. More and more of you have joined the pack, and after two and I am more than ever convinced than opening and maintain a site to cultivate my ongoing learning education and share it with peers was the best decision I could have made, two and half years ago.
Before we say goodbye to 2013, let’s do a little recap of the 10 articles you enjoyed the most this year. Just like for the 2012 Top 5 articles, it was based on Google Analytics’ pageviews between December 25, 2012 and December 26, 2103. Amazingly enough, two articles that are in the top 10 today were in the top 5 last year, which can only mean that useful info lasts.
Without further ado, your top 10:
This year clear winner is a compilation of dialogues we have all heard too many times and wish never to hear or read in a script again. You all went on sharing your personal favorites, and the list of 50 multiplied and keeps growing! Go have a look and add your stone to the wall of sorrow.
If you haven’t checked it yet, don’t get intimated by the number 50, Wim Wenders’ list reads so quickly and is so inspiring that you’ll probably wish it was a 100.
Enter the rabbit hole and watch both classics and obscures films that are in the public domain and you can now find and watch for free online. (Amateurs of zombies and horror films, this is for you).
My first mega-#FF with the 24 filmmaking related twitter account you should follow was such a success that I couldn’t wait another year to share another 27 filmmaking related twitter accounts you should also follow. Check them all out, they make it twitter worth it.
For the second year now, how to write a split screen makes it to the top. If you want to read more about this specific writing technique, check How to Write a Split Scree: the Annie Hall Example.
The only editing-related article this year is, again, one that made it to the top last year! Twixtor is a neat plugin that lets you create ultra slow motion effect. Check it out, two years after inception it stays impressive.
In a way, Rian Johnson makes it twice on mentorless.com this year, as he is also one of the 24 filmmaking related twitter account to follow. If you feel low and wondering why you’re writing down all these random ideas crossing your mind, read this article, it should boost you up.
This year was rich in great making-ofs; if you haven’t seen this one on Clockwork Orange, check it out and discover how Kubrick worked his way through this film, from A to Z.
Larry Wright who is also behind the Art of the Steadicam did an editing of all the long takes in Children of Men in order of length. A must watch.
Last but not least, another article about the art of screenwriting made it to the top 10 and offers you some insights on how to introduce a character with layers in your screenplay.
Hope you enjoyed the ride and to see you to the 2014 recap!
Error: Your Requested widget "colorful text widget " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area add-widget-after-content]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-34"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar0]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-38"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar1]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-33"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar2]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-26"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar3]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-11"]
- [do_widget_area hb-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-29"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-19"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-32"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-16"]
- [do_widget id="facebooklikebox-4"]
- [do_widget id="text-8"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-37"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-39"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-35"]
- [do_widget_area hb-side-section-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-28"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-21"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_1]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-23"]
- [do_widget id="advads_ad_widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="advads_ad_widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-2"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_2]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-13"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_3]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-5"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-12"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-9"]
- [do_widget id="text-7"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-36"]
check the archives for a taste of it.