Watch “Metamorphosis”, Black Swan’s Full Making-Of by Niko Tavernise
Fan of Darren Aronofsky and of great making-ofs rejoy, photographer and long-time collaborator Niko Tavernise just uploaded “Metamorphosis“, Black-Swan’s full making of that consists of three videos. And that’s not it, Tavernise also made available complementary in a fourth video interviews with Darren Aronofsky, Cinematographer Matthew Libatique, Editor Andrew Weisblum, Nathalie Portman, Mila Kunis & Vincent Cassel, Production Designer Therese Deprez, Producer Scott Franklin and 20 min of extra footage that didn’t make the final cut for “Metamorphosis”.
You are probably already familiar with Niko Tavernise’s work for The Fountain and The Wrestler (Tavernise has been filming making-ofs for Aronofsky since Pi) and in that case, you already know the high level of quality in Tavernise’s work.
Metamorphosis takes it to the next level in terms of scale not only by the quality of the visual but also by the number of collaborators interviewed throughout the whole filmmaking process. There is a strong feeling, watching Metamorphosis, that Tavernise was there all along, capturing the process but also the energy level fluctuating as day passes and fatigue accumulates.
There is so much to say about these videos, and hopefully we’ll get to know more about the process of making them, which is an art in itself and allows us to hear and learn from so many people who rarely have a chance to share their knowledge and experience outside of sets:
“One of the reasons I love working with Darren Aronofsky is that there are directors, and there are filmmakers. He truly is a filmmaker. He approaches this film from such a wide range of ideas, and he is very opened to ideas. I was presented with every version of Swan Lake imaginable… “Go away, come back and let me know your thoughts”.”
Therese Deprez – Production Designer
Below is the full list of videos that constitute Metmorphosis. A massive kudos to Niko Tavernise for his great work and for sharing it with us.
>> Use “blackswan” as a password to watch the videos <<
- Niko Tavernise on the Learning Curve Shooting 6 Making-Of for Aronofsky
- Brace Yourself: Here is a 1h30 Masterclass with Darren Aronofsky
- In the Trenches With Darren Aronofsky: The Fountain & the Wrestler Full Making-Of
- Darren Aronofsky: Digital Effects Are Changing the Craft of Filmmaking
- Sounds of Aronofsky: a Video to Listen to Closely
- The Wrestler Cinematographer, Maryse Alberti, Talks About her Career
- AFI Promotion 1992 : Aronofsky, Libatique, Field, Silver and Many More. What Did it Look Like?
- Watch “Metamorphosis”, Black Swan’s Full Making-Of by Niko Tavernise
- Speaking in Images: Matthew Libatique on Building a Cinematic Language and the Future of Film
- Breakdown of the 2011 Directors Roundtable
- Black’s Swan Subliminal Images Frame by Frame