Watch the Making-Of of Alfonso Cuaron’s Y Tu Mama Tambien
Film school renegade Alfonso Cuaron has been picking his projects over the years based on one of two criteria: either because he wants to tell a particular story, or because there is no more money in his bank account and he has to make a film. (Check his BAFTA conversation, probably one of the most genuine conversation with a filmmaker I’ve watched so far, for more on Cuaron’s background and career choices.)
After shooting Great Expectations, one of the few films he regretted making, Cuaron -along with his partner in crime, cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki- came back to his artistic roots and did Y Tu Mama Tambien, a small indie road-trip shot in Mexico and in Spanish with Gael Garcia Bernal who had just finished Inarritu‘s Amores Perros, but was still relatively unknown on the international platform.
The film became an international indie sensation but during the shooting, staying true to the low-profile production, Detras de Y Tu Mama Tambien, a 22 minute long making-of was shot, that is a perfect window on the laid back atmosphere that surrounded the film. The *beeped* opening sequence is here to confirm that statement.
But fear not, there is plenty to learn from the documentary that narrates the full experience with great energy and a lot of humor and starts by sharing the surprising info that filming started with the last scene of the film, which is, if you’ve seen the film, a statement to Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna‘s talent.
As you know I’m crazy for making-ofs and behind-the-scenes, and I especially enjoy finding those that have a distinctive flavor and a personality, either because they depart from the traditional promotional format or because they were shot years –if not decades– ago and thus bring something drastically different to the table. Detras Y Tu Mama Tambien is one of those making-ofs that feels like it’s been made from the heart on a 4:3 format, balancing between cool tracks and dead silence, with a mordant narrator guiding you through another time of filmmaking. And if you ever wonder how important the human factor is on set, this should also give you a good idea.
A gem to savor:[Thanks to Sheila Rubi]
Error: Your Requested widget "colorful text widget " is not in the widget list.
- [do_widget_area add-widget-after-content]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-34"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar0]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-38"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar1]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-33"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar2]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-26"]
- [do_widget_area custom-sidebar3]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-11"]
- [do_widget_area hb-default-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-29"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-19"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-32"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-16"]
- [do_widget id="facebooklikebox-4"]
- [do_widget id="text-8"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-37"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-39"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-35"]
- [do_widget_area hb-side-section-sidebar]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-28"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-21"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_1]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-23"]
- [do_widget id="advads_ad_widget-3"]
- [do_widget id="advads_ad_widget-2"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-2"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_2]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-13"]
- [do_widget_area orphaned_widgets_3]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-5"]
- [do_widget_area widgets_for_shortcodes]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-12"]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-9"]
- [do_widget id="text-7"]
- [do_widget id="categories-3"]
- [do_widget_area wp_inactive_widgets]
- [do_widget id="wysiwyg_widgets_widget-36"]
check the archives for a taste of it.